Beef Noodle Soup 牛肉面 (niúròumiàn)
This slow-simmering soup is a popular fast food in northern China. This recipe is one of our favorites because it’s rich and rather authentic. Bean or rice noodles can be substituted for ordinary wheat noodles to make the meal gluten free. You can also always substitute gluten-free Italian-style noodles.
Author: Karen Christensen
- 2-3 lb beef
- 4 star anise
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 10 clove garlic
- 6 medium slice fresh ginger
- 5 dry chili peppers
- 2 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- chili paste or Sriracha
- fresh cilantro
- green onions
- Use permeable cloth and string to wrap the star anise, peppercorns, garlic, ginger, and peppers into a bundle.
- Add oil to skillet or wok and lightly brown the beef.
- Add chili paste and rice wine.
- Pour the meat and juices into a large soup pot and deglaze the pan. Toss in the spice bundle and submerge everything in water. Add salt, soy sauce, and sugar. Cover and simmer for three hours, adding water if necessary.
- Once the soup is prepared, boil noodles according to package instructions. Drain and transfer to bowls. Spoon broth and meat on top of noodles, garnish with cilantro and chopped green onions. You can also float a fried or poached egg on top, or wilt some bok choy or spinach in the broth.